NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Safety & Health
The NEBOSH International General Certificate is designed for managers, supervisors, worker representatives and others who require an understanding of health and safety principles and practices. Candidates are likely to be employees of large organisations operating outside the UK, or of multinational companies already working to international standards but who need to adapt these to accord with local needs and practice.
The syllabus omits specific reference to any national legal requirements but, instead, focuses on international standards, in particular ILO codes of practice. In common with the national award, however, the syllabus is structured according to a recognised management framework.
Payments for eLearning courses made within the UK (only) are subject to UK VAT at the prevailing rate.
Syllabus Summary (March 2011 Specification)
- Foundations in health and safety
- Health and safety management systems (SMS): Policy
- Health and safety management systems (SMS): Organising
- Health and safety management systems (SMS): Planning
- Health and safety management systems (SMS): Measuring, audit and review
- Workplace hazards and risk control
- Transport hazards and risk control
- Musculoskeletal hazards and risk control
- Work equipment hazards and risk control
- Electrical safety
- Fire safety
- Chemical and biological health hazards and risk control
- Physical and psychological health hazards and control
The syllabus details for the IGC1 are based on the new standard (March) 2011/2012
The examination comprises two 2-hour written papers and a practical assessment. Each written paper consists of one 'long-answer' question and ten 'short-answer' questions. All questions are compulsory. The practical assessment consists of carrying out a risk assessment of a workplace and preparing a short report.
Exam Sitting Fees: Students not wishing to sit their examinations at a SHEilds Test Centre may incur an additional fee of up to £310, please click here to see a list of venues.
Did you know?
This qualification is excellent pre study material for the NEBOSH International Diploma and Technical Oil & Gas certificate courses. The content and examination preparation can increase your potential pass marks by up to 25%.
This qualification is unitised; therefore if you have successfully completed either the NEBOSH International, Fire or Construction courses within the past 5 years, you are exempt from re-sitting the IGC1 paper from the IGC examinations. Reducing your required study!